Let us celebrate the Maha Shivratree night,
The night of Shiva-Parvati union,
The night of destruction and the night of creation,
The night of the Lord of lords.
On this festival of Mahashivaratri, may you follow the Shiva Purana and incorporate the following six items while worshipping Lord Shiva:
1. Bathe the Shiv Linga with water, milk and honey, and Wood apple or bel leaves added to it, representing purification of the soul;
2. The vermilion paste applied on the Shiv Linga after bathing it, representing virtue;
3. Offering of fruits, which is conducive to longevity and gratification of desires;
4. Burning incense, yielding wealth;
5. The lighting of the lamp which is conducive to the attainment of knowledge;
6. And betel leaves marking satisfaction with worldly pleasures.